WB
You shoot anything in the ear or neck it's done.
Monday, February 06, 2017, 08:00

but can you do that every time? Not me. Don't expect unrealistic things from cast bullets. They poke a hole in one side and out the other, through what's in the middle. Usually in a pretty straight line no matter bone or whatever. Their consistency in that respect is good. But it still requires shot placement. Poking a hole takes a while to leak life fluids out sometimes too. But two holes usually leave a trail. Usually. If it runs off give it a bit to lie down and bleed out, don't give chase and scare too soon. Otherwise you can run it out of the county.

For .44 Special on deer and sheep I sure would want a expansive slug, even smaller meat hogs. About 900-1000 fps is a nice speed. For a big hog a good 240 gr. classic SWC at that same speed works fine and is easy to shoot if you are up to it. Your skill will put the effective range limit to the equation. For me that's about 25-30 yds. with iron sights and around 50 with a scope and marginal support available. I've shot a hog at 75-80 with a 2X but it was not ideal. (it was a 9.5" .429 GNR and I had a tree to lean against - 310 gr. cast at 1600 fps)

This Jacobs Ram was taken with a .44 Special 240 gr. Remington JSP at 950 fps. Compete broadside penetration, DRT.
[image]