Rick Sim
Talking to Gary about Rooiport, SA in May/Jun this year
Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 12:21

My first trip over in July/Aug 2003 and got a quick education about hunting Africa. To those who are signed up to go, you may find this hunt description of an Impala buck "protected by his ladies" of interest:

That time of the year was chilly in the morning. Our trip in May/June will be milder.

We got out early, so sitting in the back seat over the cruiser bed...
[image]
was brisk as we bumped along the sandy roadbed. After about a 20 min. ride, the PH slammed on the breaks, yelled for me to jump down NOW! and follow on his heels.

We ran, trotted, jogged for another 15 mins. until he yelled to get down. In 2 secs. I was on my belly crawling behind him with my gun cradled in my arms under my chin. After eating dust, belly crawling over Acacia thorns, 23 kinds of animal dung for another 350 yards we stopped, listened and lay there for 10 mins. At 50 years old, my back was cramping so I touched his foot to get his attention. Snapping his head around, he motioned for me to duck walk and stay close. 150 yards later we came upon a sinkhole, like a 2 ft. deep foxhole, slid in and setup for what turned out to at least a 45 min. wait.

The Impala buck was laying down, surrounded by "his ladies", which consisted of 10-12 females, who were on full alert, barking, stomping their front feet, ears twitching, sniffing the air for any reason to bolt. They knew we were there, but couldn't see where...

I had my weapon over the edge of the sinkhole, crosshairs on the buck with a forest of legs milling about obstructing my view. Distance was about 120 yards. And my neck started cramping within 10 mins. So, while I rested my neck the PH kept his binocs on the buck. I watched/rested my neck for about 5 cycles, looked up the last time to no legs, no buck, nothing. I scanned to the right, nothing. Scanned to the left, picked up his shoulder in the crosshairs and squeezed. The 300WM roared and the scope went empty... We jumped up, ran as best we could after laying on our bellies for 45 mins. We covered the 120 yards in quick time and starting looking for a blood trail. The ladies were long gone, but after about 5 mins., we found the buck about 70 yards away stone dead, shot through the heart/lungs.
[image]
I found out later that "mounting" your dead prey was taboo to the black guys, hey, live and learn, my first African kill, after a long ass stalk and I thought I had earned the right to show a wee bit of male dominance. ;)

Regardless, prepare yourselves for the most enjoyable, memorable hunts, great trophy animals, and a lot of practice hunting in the last great hunting grounds.

Took 5 animals that trip, all were great hunts in there own right: Impala, Springbok, Gemsbok, Warthog and Blesbok.

Whole trip, including airfare, taxidermy (skull mounts/skins), 5 game specie hunts, great food, priceless friendship: $8,700.

Just must humble opinion, for what it's worth.