Gary Reeder
The 10mm is one of my favorite calibers but it does
Tuesday, January 23, 2024, 11:23

have its limitations. Kase and I have taken good size hogs with the 10mm several times thru the years and the cartridge has improved considerably over the last 10 to 15 years, But it still has its limitations. An average size deer would be the largest I would go with. I know a couple of idiots took a 10mm to Africa and supposedly took several large animals. What they did was illegal and they got their PH in a lot of trouble.
Anyway, I like the 10mm and think the new Bad Medicine revolver in 10mm we just finished would make a good trail gun. The power of the cartridge is much more than it was in the days of the Bren Ten but still is limited. I would feel fine walking thru most woods with this little revolver but only as a backup, not the primary weapon for bears and such. As always the killing power of a cartridge is in direct proportion to where you put the bullet. A shot in the ass with a 458 is still a shot in the ass. The 10mm is a good cartridge, much more power than a 9mm and more than the power of a standard 45 ACP. The new 45 ACP is much more power than the old 750 FPS 45 ACP of 75 years ago. But ammo companies like Double Tap puts out a 10mm at 1780 FPS out of my 10mm long slide while the 45 ACP from Super Vel is clocked at a bit over 1400 fps also out of one of my long slides. So we are back to square one. Either one would be a good back up cartridge for when the shit hits the fan. Try both and see which one puts a smile on your face.