WB
Jim, you always surprise me with your wisdom.
Thursday, January 18, 2024, 11:45

I'm painted into a corner and I cannot argue the point. I must confess I myself have a nice .30-06 Mauser, although I arrived at it by accident after stalling out on a long build. I figured I'd at least Ackley Improve it one day. But later found that the feed rails will either manage standard OR Ackley, a compromise is rough on both. FWIW I have found this so on my 6mm AI firing 6mm Remington. The parent round for the rifle was 7x57 so the standard 6mm Remington (basically a 6x75) works great. The sharp sided Ackley is not as slick and can scratch cases or bind a little sometimes. Perhaps polishing would help.

Sure a standard hamburger will keep you alive, might even taste good and have desirable qualities. But if you want a little lagniappe, there are other things more rare that attract guys with stacks of cash. If only for something different or rare. I admit the .30-06 with a good 180 gr. bullet will kill anything on the planet to at least 400 yds. with most good shooters and optics.

My '06 on a 1908 Brazilian contract DWM action. Spun out on the project, I never got to the checkering, swivels, or fancy finish.
[image]