Jim Taylor
This Was A .357 Morning
Thursday, August 18, 2022, 10:37

Headed out the range early to try and beat the heat. Got caught up in trying different loads and after a couple hours I had enough and gave it up for the day.

I was shooting my old Ruger Flattop 357 single action.
[image]

[image]

and a Rossi Model 971 that I had picked up 20-some odd years ago but have never shot much. I finally remembered why. It's a nice enough gun but man it is hard on my hand!

[image]

The single action is much more comfortable with heavy loads.

The Rossi is not particularly accurate .. most loads for me going in 2" to 3" groups at 20 yards or so. The most accurate load I have is the Speer Gold Dot with 22 gr. of H110. It is hard on my hand but if I pay close attention to what I am doing I can get 3 shots inside 3/4" at 20 yards.

I have shot single actions most all of my life and am more comfortable with them. Today's better targets with the old Ruger are here for your amusement.

[image]

[image]

I ran 4 different loads through each gun ...had a good time ... shot the double action gun that I had not had out in years and probably won't have it out again any time soon.

Oh .. I fired both jacketed and cast bullets through each gun. When I got home I ran a brush through each and wiped them down. No leading at all! I love it when that happens.