WB
I used to keep some fancy (to me) shotguns around.
Saturday, August 06, 2022, 07:55

The two best shotguns I performed with were a Winchester M24 in 12 and Citori 12 Competition Skeet. I cheated with both, handloading #9 shot for Dove, and my skeet loads were basically 20 ga. in a 12 hull. I went shooting sporting clays, skeet, and some live quail shooting with them. It was fun and I enjoyed it. I love a good old southern dove hunt and Alcorn has invited me several times. But as friends have begun passing on they started collecting dust in the safe. I traded them off to pay Gary for custom handguns. They take up less room, are more interesting to me, and I'm lots more likely to actually shoot them. I do think we have examples in every gauge .410 (67 ga.), 20, 16, and 12. Sold the big 10 ga. but it was fun. I even have an 11 bore and 28 ga. black powder smoothbore. Also I have a TC 10" .45/.410 with rib and choke.

Now days they are mostly kept around for utility use and self defense. A shotgun is seldom the wrong tool for close range. We have a chopped 20 Stevens double (like Jim's), and handgripped Mossberg 20, some 870's and a 1100 riot. I did keep dad's 1100 20, and my Stevens 16, Mossberg Turkey for actual hunting duty. I've been shooting 20 ga. more lately, but to pick, the 12 always wins hands down.

I try not to look at shotguns for sale. I accidentally spied a nice SKB O/U fancier field gun not long ago for $750. It had a silver receiver, and engraving, higher grade wood, and shorter barrels. It was still there last I looked. I hope someone buys it soon!