mountainwanderer
God Help You & may God be with you...
Sunday, October 10, 2021, 14:48

Many of us have tried, and each and everyone of us wishes you success, for none of us have succeeded.

No longer being young I must admit to loss of that golden belief of youth that all is possible. I do not see a way out. Some kind of civil war appears to be on the horizon...

For any one that does not have the time or simply is unable to wade through the vast and endless tomes that fill libraries, there is one book (it may come in two parts) I have found that covers the Rise and Fall of the United States of America with insight and clarity. And oddly enough, it was written by a foreigner (a Frenchman) and almost at our very beginning (a long time ago). I strongly suggest reading it, then sitting back for a good while digesting it and finally reading it again with a pen & a pad of paper handy.

'Democracy In America' (1835) by Alexis de Tocqueville

Lastly, amidst his admirable work, this one quote stopped me cold, and caused me to be actually sick, for I then knew what was coming, and this was fifty years ago, before it was completely self-evident...

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.”
― Alexis de Tocqueville