Gary Reeder
dragged in late last night from an "unusual" hunt
Friday, April 16, 2021, 16:28

the African hunt proved to be a good hunt, many things not withstanding. With a couple dropping out, we ended up with 8 hunters..
Erik Stenberg
Nick Stenberg
Ray Shepard
Danielle Shepard
Dave Manson
Michael Mendes
Stuart Marshall
and me.
With Delta not flying to South Africa this left a big void in which airlines we could go with. First it was Amsterdam and other changes which we declined, then it was Dallas to Qatar at the edge of Saudi Arabia, then to Joberg and then to Upington in South Africa and then a short drive (2 hours) to camp. This was uneventful for most except for a long timeframe of flying.
The one exception was Qatar where my guns and luggage were stolen, probably never to be seen again. So I ended up hunting in borrowed clothes with a couple of borrowed guns with borrowed ammo. I hunted 10 days or so in my houseshoes.
The rest of the crew had a great time and some really nice critters were taken. Here are some of the pics. First Nick Stenberg and his animals. Nick used his bow on one animal, his 300 H&H on the others.
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
His Dad Erik Stenberg hunted with his custom handguns and also took some really nice animals..
[image]
[image]
[image]
Ray Shepard and his wife Danielle took 7 or 8 animals between the two of them using 2 rifles and had a great hunt. First Danielle's.
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

Then Ray Shepard's animals,
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
David Manson had a great hunt taking a big Cape Buffalo, an Ostrich, among a few others but I don't have any pics yet. Michael Mendes also took some really nice animals with his handguns, a custom Freedom Arms in 454 and a custom TC in 378 GNR. No pics yet.
Stuart Marshall also took some really nice animals with his rifles but no pics as yet on them.
I borrowed Michael's 454 Casull and took what John Abraham, our head honcho and my PH said would be the new #1 Cape Buffalo. My old one that lasted for a short time as #1 was 42" in width. This new one is 49" in width so if not #1 it will be pretty close. One shot put it down and the second shot finished it. I have pics but I don't have them downloaded yet. Just for kicks I shot a Golden Wildebeest. None have been taken with handguns so I borrowed Erik Stenbergs custom 338 GNR and took a really nice (but ugly) Golden Wildebeest. Again pics as soon as I get them downloaded.