Brant
First snake in the yard this year.
Sunday, April 11, 2021, 07:08

Yesterday I ran early to the quick care to get a shot and some meds to knock out this sinus and congestion mess I Haven’t able to shake. When I finally made it home I noticed the 2 yard dogs raising a fuss out back. Probably a snake. I had my carry gun with me, but grabbed a brush hook on the way and sure enough they had a nice copperhead bayed way too close to the house! Each were keeping their distance of about 4 feet but not giving in. The little guy (Roger) I know is a seasoned professional. In the past he would bark until I get there and I would determine how to handle the situation, call him back and do so. He would then sniff a little bit getting too close and go about his business as usual. However, the big guy (Louie) is a recent stray and this is our first snake sighting together so I wasn’t too sure what he would do. He is a natural hunter And likes to kill what he finds. This has included an armadillo, field rats ,rabbits and a couple of possums I the short while he has lived here.

I get there and call the back. Little Roger never takes his eyes from the snake, just starts walking backwards about 10 more feet and stops. This is where things fall apart. Louie looks at me and almost forgets about the snake and takes a few steps towards it and is now straddled said Mr Primed snake which now has decided to strike and did! The dog realized what he had done and reacted fast but I couldn’t tell if he was bitten or not but he was now hgiving me and the snake room that I could do my thing I chopped his head off and as soon as I did Louie rushes in and grabs him in the middle and smart shaking him effectively biting him in two and fling one half at me and nearly hitting me in the chest with it!
I was able to calm down enough to get the other part of mr snake from him and give him a good talking to about how we handle snakes and throwing them on me is not part of the plan. All the while, good little Roger is still where I left him, never moved , just staring and the two idiots screaming and barking and dancing around like a couple of clowns. “. Good boy Roger “ I said. He then calmly tuns and walks away, and I know I saw him shaking his head as if he was thinking “. I have a lot to teach those two”

So as per a long standing arrangement with my wife, I had to place all the pieces of the snake in a box and haul it off down the road away from our property. (I know. Please don’t even ask). When I returned I remembered that I may have a sick dog on my hands and went to check him for. Snake bite. I found him doing his favorite new activity. Chasing and jumping and snapping at those big wood boring bees. I looked him over and saw nothing. Checked him again every hour for a few and no signs. Then he trees a possum and barked at it all night. I guess it missed him.

I should find him a feral boy with a .22 and lots of energy and room to roam. That kid ain’t getting Roger though. He has never thrown a snake at me!