gary reeder
I have shown these before but some on here may not have
Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 14:11

seen this collection of "junkers". I have several of these hanging on the wall in my office. You may recognize a few. The 41 Rimfire Remington Derringer in pic 2 is consecutive serial number to the one Big Nose Kate bought for Doc Holliday. In pic 2 in the upper right hand corner is a British Bulldog revolver.

[image]
[image]
[image]
Just for the sake of keeping me awake here are some of the others from the wall..
2 Colt 25 Autos
[image]

1873 must have been a good year for handguns with the Colt SAA and also a clunker from the French as a Model 1873
I think it is french by the bulky design and the writing in French. Probably 44 caliber.
[image]
[image]
[image]

This next one I was given by Puffy. He spent several days with me here at the house and saw all the guns on the wall and gave me this one to put up there. Someone took all the writing off it before they nickeled it. So I am not sure of the make. looks to be a large frame S&W, and appears to be 44 caliber. Way before Dirty Harry.
[image]
[image]
[image]

Next is a very small brass frame S&W. Looks to be 22 or 25 caliber. Unusual in that the barrel lifts up to unload.

[image]
[image]
In the upper part of the frame is an old British flintlock pistol. It has the British Crown on the right side of the frame and was obviously for the British military as it has the company markings on the trigger guard. Caliber looks to be around 50 or maybe even 58.
[image]
[image]
[image]

Next is that British Bulldog revolver I mentioned above. Short stubby barrel and appears to be 44 caliber. 5 shot cylinder.
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

Well before Fitz brought out his famous chopped down revolver the same gun was prevalent in the west. A lot of bank officers carried one similar to this one in their jacket pocket. Nothing to snag on and I guess it could be shot thru the jacket if needed. And Monsieur Boggs will love the rear sight on this chopped S&W.
[image]
[image]
[image]

Almost 200 years ago just about everyone carried and many carried pistols that were absolutely a last ditch defense pistol. Some, like this one were very crude. This one is solid metal and a single shot, about 30 caliber, but better than a sharp stick I suppose.
[image]
[image]

This one would have been the assault pistol of the day 200 years ago. Two barrels side by side, 2 hammers and the bores were square.
[image]
[image]
[image]

Pin fire revolvers were popular mostly in Europe but could be found elsewhere. They fired a cartridge that had a small pin sticking out of the case pointing down into the priming powder. The hammer hit the pin, firing the cartridge.
[image]
This one of unknown origin is a pinfire but also has the folding trigger. As you pull the hammer back the trigger drops down to fire. The only markings on this one is the name WARD.
[image]
[image]

[image]
[image]

Manhattan Arms was known for their multi round barrels. The guns were popular also due to being double action. Pulling the trigger rotated the barrel and the hammer lifted up to drop down on the next chamber nipple. This was one of their small caliber guns, around 30 caliber.

[image]
[image]
[image]

Manhattan Arms also put our larger caliber guns, this one in 36 caliber.
[image]
[image]
[image]

A company called Merwin & Bray made a lot of small caliber revolvers like this one in 25 caliber. Most were brass framed and loaded from the front of the cylinder.
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

there were a lot of guns a hundred and 20 or so years ago that ladies carried in their muffs, which were fur lined that the ladies put their hands in to keep them warm. Various companies made small guns that were just called Muff guns. This is one of the small 22 caliber guns with the hidden trigger that dropped down as the hammer was being pulled.This model was called the Baby Hammerless.
[image]
[image]
[image]

This next gun is another that someone filed all the writing off it before refinishing it. I looks to be one of the revolvers used by the Confederate army, but was in a holster marked Joseph L. Ferrell U.S.N. So I am not sure of it's origin. It is 36 caliber.
[image]
[image]
[image]

This is another very crude single shot used as a last ditch self defense weapon. It is one of what was called ring trigger guns. No markings on it.
[image]
[image]

Another small frame S&W revolver. I am not up on the various models a hundred years ago so to me it is just one of many small frame break top S&W revolvers I have. This one is unusual in that it has the square back trigger guard.
[image]
[image]
[image]

Another very small caliber S&W break top revolver, probably 22 caliber.
[image]
[image]
[image]

Back in the old west and probably in the east also many would modify their handguns to get the shot off quicker. Removing the trigger guard was one way. This S&W is a very early "safety hammerless" revolver. Leaving off the trigger guard didn't make it any less safe as the grip safety (much like some current S&W revolvers) had to be pressed in for the gun to fire.
[image]
[image]
[image]

The C. Sharps company was famous for their long range buffalo rifles, but they made a few handguns also. They made a 4 shot brass framed derringer.
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

Next is a Steyer military 9mm pistol. All the markings were buffed off before nickel plating.
[image]
[image]
[image]

Next is another very small frame and very small caliber S&W. Another where the barrel lifts up to unload.
[image]
[image]
[image]

Finally not an antique pistol as it was made somewhere in the early 1900s. It is the model 1905 Savage in 32 caliber. This one is in very good condition and could be carried and used today.
[image]
[image]

That's it. Hopefully I didn't bore you to tears. I just sorta like to have the old classics around. by the way there will be a test on this tomorrow.