WB
I was looking through the Speer manual #12
Sunday, October 18, 2020, 14:59

in the .454 Casull section (I have a Taurus that still scares me). It lists the max loading for a 300 gr. JHC using a compressed load of 34 gr. H110, out of a 7.5" FA M83 it shows 1550 fps. Man is it rude to shoot too.

I was a little surprised. I have a stock Ruger Super Redhawk 9.5" that Gary re-chambered to .429 GNR. I also have a LEE 310 gr. FNGC mould and really like the bullet. Using a full, but not compressed, loading of H110 under it, while seated in the rear crimp groove, I get around 1550 fps from my .429 GNR. While it kicks up pretty good it is not abusive, nor seems to have such a ferocious muzzle blast. I'm not sure why, it just does. Given the same bullet weight and speed, the slightly smaller .430" bullets should penetrate better. So far I've taken a couple of small Whitetail and a nice big hog with that combination. In the latter instance I got about 4' of penetration, from rear ham to just under the skin on the off shoulder angling away. A one shot kill for sure. The slick cast bullet affords me more speed at the same pressures, so I figure my pressure is less than the Speer .454 loading. Not that I shoot hundreds of rounds of it. A more friendly loading is a case full of 4227 and the front crimp grove for a more sedate 1350 fps with the 310 gr. But it's so accurate and easy shooting.

[image]

The Reeder cartridges are good foundations. If you don't load your own (what an unlimited delight it is) there are custom loaders to assist. The .429 has been such a great round to work with.

[image]