WB
For actual shooting the Remington copies are superior
Thursday, April 02, 2020, 08:38

to the Colt's. Sorry JT but I can't duplicate your groups without getting powder burns on the target. lol The sights are the issue actually. Back when those guns were engineered they never truly envisioned their use past rock throwing distances. The sights were basically there because purchasers expected them to have them of some fashion.

The solid frame Remington 1858 has a groove in the top strap and a well shaped front (a feigned attempt at a blade) and the U-notch usually affords good sight picture. Now it may shoot a foot low and 6" to the left, but if it does that all the time you can work with it. Contrast the Colt that has basically a sharpened peg for a front sight and a half-ass attempt at a V-notch cut in the "Fully Cocked" hammer! If you can hold steady with that "disappearing rear sight" you are lots better than me. (most are) Very interesting and innovative as there is no topstrap to groove anyway. Remember the Colt was the first "Successful" and mass produce revolver. The Remington pre-dated the Colt SAA some 15 years. It had a grooved topstrap long before Colt's even had them.

Jim Taylor has some good experiences with the Cap & Ball with information on the throating issues etc. If the balls coming out of the cylinder are smaller than the bore that can cause issues. But the pure lead does upset some to help. There are some interesting dynamics that can be improved. I've always wanted to drill the topstrap on a 1858 Remington and install a Bushnell Phantom scope. Believe it or not I've seen some others do just that! Starting in the mid 1960's. It takes the sighting issues out of consideration.

Powerwise it's .38 Special class. I don't care what you do, if you can manage some .44 Special performance you have really done something. You really need to be responsible about the game you planto chase with it. I know, Goerg took Black Bear with a Remington adorned with scope. But you are not Al Goerg, neither an I. Hunting I shot the ROA with a 270 gr. bullet at 900 fps. Using all sorts of trickery, that was very minimal for even a small hog. It's a great topic and story for discussion.