Gary Reeder
here is the latest from Charlie Herf on his daughter's
Friday, March 20, 2020, 13:07

fight with cancer..

hello, everyone...During this "slowdown" of outside the home activities, i wanted to take this time to update you re. our most recent week with Allison... We were there for 10 days and arrived back here in Az. this past Sunday..Our extremely scary and aggravating time started on March 8th when we went out to pick up some of Allison's meds at her local Walgreen's.. At the time of purchase, I was asked how i planned to pay for them., When I asked what the cost was after her insurance deduct Walgreen's it was showing that Allison's insurance had been denied....You can't imagine the shock... It was Sunday with no way for her to inquire about the situation until the next day.. fast forward... Allie spent over 6 hours on the phone..mostly on "hold" trying to reach anyone who could explain what had happened.. finally, she spoke with a more knowledgeable person and was told that the reason she has been denied is that her "income" is too high. That person who worked for the Sate of California also told her that the State had neglected to send her notice of the new regulation limiting disability income as the basis for MedCal.. Allison told her that her "income" is her disability check..that she has no other regular income, she was told that the State of California has CHANGED the amount of income they would allow a person to receive to be eligible for State help with medical coverage... Allie's disability doesn't even cover her rent but "their" new figure to allow coverage was now going to be $1,400.00.. Needless to say , this was EXTREMELY upsetting for her and for us ... Fast forward.. Allie spent hours on the phone on Tuesday and Wednesday and signed up with an ins company that was begun in 1980 by an ER Dr. who was noticing how many patients he had to turn away because Med-Cal would not cover them and care was being denied.. It is an HMO-Molina named after the now deceased MD and it does business as an HMO in several states..Fast forward, FINALLY by yesterday, her application was accepted, she had to have the new ins begin back on February 1st because she had actually been cancelled by Med Cal effective January 31st..again... with NO NOTICE.. so, she will be billed for the CT and PET scans, Dr. appts., pain procedure, etc.etc. that she had in February... The State had even sent her an"new" 2020 medical card. which it then refused to honor !.The MOST important thing was for her to have medical coverage as her 5-7 radiation treatments were to begin this week. NO word , as yet, as to when those treatments will actaully begin, Hopefully in the COVID-19 era, they will not consider radiation and "elective" medical procedure... cancer does not "wait" for a societal virus to go away....The ins is expensive, of course, with a HIGH deductible, co-pays for everything..one thing we don't know, as yet, is if there are any "limits" to her coverage... SO, needless to say, last week was most likely the MOST nerve racking for Allison and for Patti and me, largely due to the "unknowns"..have not heard from her yet today that she has been able to set up appts that she needs in order to begin the radiation... be grateful for your health and stay well during this Covid-19 situation !!! I will give you her address again as i know several of you have asked me to re-send her contact information It is Allison Herf 3429 Ray Street, San Diego, Ca., 92104..and, to answer another question from some of you, "yes" Allie still has her "Gofundme Allison Herf" site on Google ...however, they do take a slight % to manage the account..She has SO APPRECIATED your continued cards and notes of personal support for her. NO ONE is MORE anxious to put these past 28 months BEHIND HER THAN Allison !!!to ALL of you..STAY WELL and follow all of the suggested "social distancing" and cleanliness recommendations so this nasty and dangerous virus can begin to decline... MY BEST to ALL of you .Patti and I THANK YOU for your love, concern, and support for Allison and us !!!
Charlie