gary reeder
tried to clean up our building #2 shop recently and found a
Sunday, February 16, 2020, 18:22

good sized box of 10mm and 38 Super mags, all marked "BAD". Recently in a spare moment (I have very few of those) I took them apart, soaked them in hot soapy water, cleaned the insides and lubed them good and less than half of them will feed. And all are new. I have several not marked other than the caliber, some Mec Gar and some Kimber, and out of about 30, I think I found 5 that I feel will work, at least well enough to run them thru a batch of ammo. Why is it that nobody makes a decent 10mm or 38 Super magazine? I have tried Colt, Kimber, Mec Gar, Springfield Armory, Rock Island, Sig and some unmarked magazines and found maybe 1 in 6 that functioned flawlessly. The rest had all kinds of failures. If the mag companies would take a look at the Star PD magazine with it's solid rounded follower they might make a decent magazine. In over 40 years of shooting various Star PDs I don't remember ever having a mag failure.

I have a combat shoot coming up and had planned to shoot a custom longslide 10mm we are working on. But the course entails 25 kill targets and several no kill targets with 2 shots per target so I will need at least 8 magazines figuring I will kill a hostage or two along the way. But I can't seem to find more than 2 or 3 magazines that I would bet my life on. Colleen says to try the Ruger 10mm mag so I will give a couple of them a try. Hopefully they will be better than the others I have tried.