WB
Recieved the 4th Nitro Express we've
Friday, February 14, 2020, 19:30

toyed with from GNR. This is an old picture of the .470 NE I put together. Sold it to pay for my HHC trip. It was a good one. I used the 12 ga. flex-tech TC forend with bigger screws. I had to re-tap to the factory TC 12 ga. size. I played with some home built mercury recoil suppressors. They actually worked. I got the weight to 10.5 lbs with perfect balance and great proportions.

[image]

An RCBS powder dispenser only goes up to around 105 grs. of rifle powder, FWIW. You have to split the charge and double up. I liked the forend design as with a Nitro Express newbies want to try it. The sling stud is special inset so a runaway hand will not get snagged on it in recoil. The normal forend has the steel stud stuck out, sure to whack a palm. You need a "Safe" sighting system that has at least 6" of eye relief. Sooner or later someone is going to get dinged. This latest .500 I think I'll just use a red dot type sight.

GNR did a good job drilling and tapping (3) screw holes expanding the forend options. I'm delighted at the prospects for fun. We did a later .500 NE with laminated wood it split the wood like seasoned oak with a maul. Bent the two forend screws too. But we learned a lot, should have used that 3rd hole, it looked pretty though. A true pain inletting laminated for the bull barrel.

[image]

[image]